The First Aid training is divided into 2 courses: Emergency Level First Aid (1day) & Standard First Aid (2 days). Both courses included CPR training.
Who needs this training?
For those who need training due to work requirements or who want more knowledge to respond to emergencies at home. Workplaces must follow the first aid requirements outlined in Regulation 1101.
LaborTek Safety Training follows the Ottawa Paramedic Services First Aid Program which is WSIB approved.
Lessons that make up the Standard and Emergency Level courses are outlined below.
The elective lessons are chosen by the instructor based on your needs.
Both the Standard First Aid and Emergency First Aid courses include 5 core lessons: (4 hours).
1. Emergency scene management.
2. Shock, unconsciousness, and fainting.
3. Choking (adult).
4. Cardiovascular emergencies and one-rescuer CPR (adult casualty).
5. Severe bleeding.
In total, there are 18 elective lessons. The Emergency course includes approximately 1.5 hours* of elective content, while the Standard course includes about 7.5 hours.*
The Emergency course sees about 4 of the following and the Standard course sees all 18 of them.
1. Medical Conditions (Diabetes, Convulsions, Asthma, Allergies).
2. Child resuscitation.
3. Infant resuscitation.
4. Two-rescuer CPR.
5. Automated external defibrillation (AED).
6. Secondary survey.
7. Bone and joint injuries.
8. Head, spinal and pelvic injuries.
9. Chest injuries.
10. Wound care.
11. Multiple casualty management.
12. Rescue carries.
13. Eye injuries.
15. Poisons, bites and stings.
16. Heat and cold illness and injuries.
17. Emergency childbirth and miscarriage.
18. Artificial respiration.
Emergency Level First Aid (8 hours)
Standard First Aid (2 days)
Language options: English and French.